Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The English Patient (1996)


When I first saw The English Patient, Oscar's Best Picture of 1996, I wasn't really impressed. It seemed like an uneven attempt at blending Out of Africa and Lawrence of Arabia, two movies I love. I remember walking out of the theater talking to my Partner at the Time about the love story that is the primary focus of the narrative and wondering why it was less than involving for me as a viewer. Watching it again recently, I understood better how repressed both Count Laszlo de Almasy and Katharine Clifton are. Seeing their love develop gradually was a more haunting experience for me this time, and I think I can see why this film has been so loved by so many people, including Academy voters who gave it nine awards that year.

The film begins with the crash in the African desert of a plane piloted by Almsay (Ralph Fiennes). He is severely burned in the crash and is kept alive by nomadic people who carry him through the desert on camels to the care of the Canadian nurse. The nurse, Hana (Juliette Binoche), has been consistently unlucky in love during the war, having experienced the deaths of at least two of her lovers. Turning her back on further romances, she decides to devote all of her energy to keeping Almsay alive. She takes up residence with him in an abandoned monastery so that he no longer has to suffer the constant moving that the all of the battles of World War II demand. In essence, she decides to stay with him until he dies.

While lying in his bed, Almsay (a Hungarian who was mistakenly dubbed the "English patient" because his identity cannot be determined but he was flying an English plane) begins to drift in and out of consciousness, remembering in flashbacks the love affair that he had with Katharine (a radiant Kristin Scott Thomas) while serving as a mapmaker in Africa with the Royal Geographic Society prior to and during the early years of the war. Katharine is, of course, already married to one of Almsay's fellow society members, Colin Firth's Geoffrey Clifton, so she and Almsay must deny their feelings for each other for a long period of time. It's a sandstorm which traps them in a truck for a night that allows them to begin to express themselves to each other.

Simultaneously, in the "present day" story, a pickpocket named David Caravaggio (Willem Dafoe) shows up at the monastery, looking for the man who betrayed him and led the Germans to cut off his thumbs. Also appearing is a group of soldiers who specialize in clearing roads and fields of mines and bombs. For an abandoned monastery, it gets a lot of foot traffic. One of those men is Kip, a Sikh played by Naveen Andrews, now more familiar to viewers of TV's Lost. Kip and Hana begin a love affair of their own, one that causes Hana to be nervous about his fate, particularly given her recent history with men.

However, despite all of those events, it's the moments between Fiennes and Thomas that resonate the most in this film. There are some lovely scenes between the two of them. They have sex while troops outside in a courtyard are singing "Silent Night"; it's one of the sexiest moments in film from the past quarter century, made all the more sexy because of the danger of being caught so easily. He falls in love with the area at the base of her throat, that little indention called the "suprasternal notch," as Almsay finds out from one of his friends. He buys her a thimble in the market at Cairo, and then he sees her wearing it later in the film. That's when she delivers perhaps the most romantic lines in the film: "Of course, you idiot. I always wear it. I've always worn it. I've always loved you." It's all pretty heady stuff. Both stars are at their most beautiful (if I can say that about Fiennes, and I think I can), and you can see quite a contrast between Almsay as the lonely cartographer and as the English patient, not the least of which is make-up that looks like a test run for his face as Voldemort in those Harry Potter movies. Yet even under all of that make-up, Fiennes manages to convey the sense of loss that Almsay feels.

I won't lie and say that I love this movie after having watching it again. There are still some things I'm not fond of, touches by the writer or the director that just seem a little too geared to drawing praise. I'm thinking, for example, of the way that the parachute is draped around Katharine as Almsay takes her into the cave; I must say that is one artfully arranged parachute to allow for such movement in the wind. The movie just calls attention to its own beauty too many times for my complete satisfaction. That said, I am grateful for the chance to re-evaluate it. The English Patient won over Fargo and Secrets & Lies in 1996, and now I at least understand and can appreciate why.

2 comments:

Me said...

I remember the face you made when I told you that this was one of my favorite cinematic experiences, it was something between confusion and annoyance. You sputtered, "Go watch Lawrence of Arabia."

What I realize now is, my taste for this movie is overwhelmingly affected by the emotional response I had to the love story. I haven't watched this movie for years, mostly because my memory of seeing it in the theater is so romantic in itself, and I know it won't be as moving as I expect it to be.

A similar kind of shift in memory is happening as I read Wuthering Heights again. When I read this at fourteen, I had such strong emotional reactions to Heathcliff and Cathy's love affair that my memory of the novel is one of intense passion and maybe true love. Rereading it, I find the love story between them the least interesting aspect. I'm a little sad, because my memory of reading it, or my ability to feel that memory, has been considerably eroded by this second, more critical read.

In case the same should happen upon a reviewing of The English Patient, I believe I'll hold off returning to this movie. I am glad that you liked it more this time around, especially because it seems you enjoyed it for the same reasons that I loved it at first watch.

Just a side note -- I'm not sure I've liked Fiennes in anything as much since. The only other times I've only really enjoyed him are in Quiz Show and Schindler's List. He was good enough in The Duchess, but what an unlikable character. I suppose I'll have to see The Reader.

Anonymous said...

A truly fascinating film. I think many people find this movie boring, but it has many subtle and gorgeous layers for me. The fact that it takes more than one viewing is what I like so much. It is too complicated to digest all at once, which is so refreshing comparatively to summer blockbusters, right?

I agree with the other post that this film really puts Ralph Fiennes on the map. In addition to the romance of the love story, however, is the romance of the crumbling British Empire, 1930s, National Geographic Society, shameless westerners in an exotic landscape, nothing is the same after WWII essence to the film.

Both Kirsten Scott Thomas and Juliette Binoche are wonderful. Many gently meaningful human relationships in this film, including Kip and his English superior. They are just one example - an impossible pair based on nationality and spirituality, but they are a superb team. The two men appear at different points to work on dismantling German bombs and form a tight bond despite differences.

Overall the film is a gorgeous and complex period drama.