Oscar Winner: Gone With the Wind
Other Nominees: Dark Victory, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Love Affair, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Ninotchka, Of Mice and Men, Stagecoach, The Wizard of Oz, and Wuthering Heights
My Choice: The year 1939 is often referred to as the “greatest year in Hollywood” because of the astonishing number of quality films that were released that year. It’s tough to argue with the list of nominees for Best Picture even if it fails to include some other classics from that same year. However, it’s also tough to argue with the Academy’s choice of Best Picture. I’ve already discussed the complications that come with the film Gone With the Wind, but when you consider the sheer scale of filmmaking involved and you watch the iconic performances by everyone in the cast and you think of the lasting impact that it has had (good and bad, I suppose), it’s the most obvious and deserving choice.
If I’m allowed to pick a runner-up, it would be The Wizard
of Oz, perhaps the second most influential film from that year, and it
too represents filmmaking on a grand scale and features great performances from
everyone in the cast. Why wouldn’t I be allowed to pick a runner-up? It’s my
blog, after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment